– I don’t even have a guess.
– No, same. – I couldn’t even…
– I’m completely out. – How do these words come about?
Do people come together and like, (stately voice) “We need to
come up with ‘stashing.'” ♪ (dramatic chord) ♪ – (FBE) So today, we are going to
show you some recent dating trends that people deal with
in today’s dating scene. – Oh, sweet Jesus.
– Ooh. Fun. – We’re not the couple
to talk about dating trends. – We are so out of the loop. Six years out of the loop!
We missed Tinder and all of that stuff.
– I haven’t even swiped. – (FBE) So, we’re gonna be talking
about the terminology itself. So what we’re gonna do is
we are going to show you some dating terms and see
if you guys can define them. – All right.
– Okay. – I can’t wait.
– We’re not trendy and hip anymore, like, we don’t know.
– Uh, I am. – This is going
to date us so horribly. – Was that a date pun?
– Pun intended! – (FBE) Once you’re done guessing,
we’ll show you the real definition. Now with these terms, the definition
varies a little bit depending on who you ask,
but we’ve defined these either from a direct source
or from a consensus of what we found online.
– Okay. Good. – Who know the dating scene better?
– I feel like I’m gonna get it. – (FBE) The first word is benching.
– Benching. My gut reaction was
just kissing on a bench. – This one’s, like,
sitting it out. You’re like, oh,
we’re all gonna go out, we’re gonna get some dates. “That’s all right,
I’m benching it.” – Benching is when you get rejected
from getting asked for a date. You’ve benched your date.
– I think benching is when you are in a fight, and you try
not to say something too mean, so you’re like,
“I just benched you.” – When you’re on a date,
and the dude does one of these. Like, you’re sitting
on a bench together. – Okay, so this is when
you’re actually dating more than one person,
and you bench somebody in between dating other people.
– Okay. – I think it’s when
you’re dating multiple people, and some of them are
getting kind of boring, so you bench them for a bit.
– When you’re maybe on Tinder or something, and you’re swiping
multiple people and then, like, there’s some you really like,
and then there’s some that they’re there, and you can just use them whenever you need.
– Oh, the benchers? – Is that the act of having
a bunch of guys or girls and then you choose one
who’s in play? – Benching is probably–
you wanna make sure that yourw mate
has good core strength. They go on their hands and knees
as if they were a bench, and you sit on them.
I am a master bencher. – It all makes sense now. (laughs)
– Yeah. – (FBE) Here’s the definition.
– “Benching is when you date someone, but you aren’t really into them,
so you keep them around as an option, but never commit.” – So it’s like baseball. You keep
one person on the side or something. – That sounds awful!
– (laughs) That’s so bad. – If you’re not really interested,
don’t keep ’em around. That would be my advice to a person. – Are you benching me?
– I’m not benching you! – Am I a bench?
– You’re not benched! – (FBE) Next term is stashing.
– Ooh. – Stashing. Like, if I were to bring
my stuff to have at your place. – I’m gonna go with
the innocent version of stashing presents away,
so whenever she comes home, you just have a stash
of stuff that you can give her. – You have a whole roster of people.
You’re stashing up your options. – That’s when you’re
rocking a mustache. – Stashing.
– Ooh, I’m stashing right now. – It’s when you have a mustache,
and you’re kissing. – You’re dating multiple people, and you’re keeping ’em secret,
like you’re stashing a few people in the…
– (whispers) Trouble. – Stashing is when you
take somebody’s phone number, and then you hold onto it…
– Oh, that’s good. – …for a long time.
You stash it away. (laughs) – That’s actually much better
than anything I could come up with. – So say you have
a very attractive person that you’re dating, and you go into
a party, and you stash them away so that other people don’t see them
and try to, you know, take your significant other.
– I can only imagine it from a narcissistic perspective,
where someone’s like, “You’re mine. I’m gonna stash you away
’cause I’ll keep you forever.” – (FBE) Here’s the definition.
– “Stashing is when you’re in a relationship with someone,
and you refuse to introduce them to your friends and family, mostly because you view
the person as temporary.” Wow, so we were way off.
– We were way off, yeah. – Nobody gets that point.
– Yeah. – God.
– Oh my god. That’s dark! – That is sad.
– Imagine being stashed. – If you don’t wanna introduce them
to your friends and family, you might as well just end it.
– How do these words come about? Do people come together and like, (stately voice) “We need to
come up with ‘stashing.'” – Love bombing. (laughs)
– Love bombing. Whenever you go all out,
and it’s a bunch of little presents. – Basically, you’re
just really extra. – Yeah.
– Yeah. – Honestly, I can agree with that.
– You express your love to this new person by giving them
all sorts of that social media love, and you use a lot of emojis.
– I was gonna say something very similar,
but I was gonna say via text. – Love bombing is when you drop
the L word for the first time. – That was what I was gonna say!
– Because that’s a big moment. – Or it’s too soon.
– When someone drops the L bomb, and the other person’s not ready.
– They’re like, “Ay, girl, I love you!”
– My guess is that it’s when one person maybe
likes the other person more, and you just are showing them
so much affection. – Maybe bombing is bad, so when
you’re doing really bad on a date or something? Like you’re love bombing?
– Oh yeah. You’re bombing on a– – You just aren’t really
finding a match. – Where you love them too much
to make them go away. Where you overwhelm them like,
“Let’s talk marriage. Let’s– babies! Let’s”–
– Babbies? – How many babbies do you want?
Do you want like 10 babbies? – Many, many babbies.
– I’ll carry half. You carry the other half?
– Yeah, like a seahorse. – Maybe photobombing? Like standing
in the background, being like, “Hey, guys! Me. Like, I’m here too.”
– When you go in for a kiss, and then someone sneaks in
between the two people. – (laughs) Does that happen a lot?
– “Love bombing typically occurs in whirlwind romances
where one partner will try to influence a person
with affection, attention, presents, and promises
about the future.” – I feel like that
was pretty accurate. I mean, you could
do that via text, you could do it
via social media. – So this is somebody that is,
you know, insecure and afraid that person’s gonna leave,
so then they just pile it on. – Ohhh. That’s manipulation.
– You were kind of right. Like the clingy person.
You said clingy. – Kind of, but that sounds
like you’re throwing things at them for them to like you.
– I know, this is like a sugar daddy thing?
– I would never have guessed that. – I don’t think the definition fits.
– I like mine better. Mine’s so much better.
– Yeah, I think that makes more sense to me, yeah.
– Right? – I don’t even have a guess.
– No, same. – I couldn’t even…
– I’m completely out. – (both) Gatsbying?
– Oh, I don’t know. – That’s when– that’s like when you just have a bunch
of parties all the time? – That’s when you
pretend you’re rich! – (laughs) Oh my god, yes!
– That’s when you lavish her with champagne. Um…
– I actually totally agree with this. – You have a crush on someone,
but you’re too scared to bring them one-on-one,
so you throw a huge party, and invite them and kind of
they see that you’re this party guy, you have all these friends.
– Sort of flamboyantly showing off your riches.
– Yes! Leonardo DiCaprio. – (laughs) So your definition
of Gatsbying is Leonardo DiCaprio. – “Gatsbying. Posting
to social media and then waiting for that one
specific person to check it out…” – “…is the modern day equivalent
of Gatsby throwing elaborate parties seeking Daisy’s attention.” – Ahh.
– Ohh! (clicks tongue) I didn’t even
think about social media. Oh gosh, I’m out of the game. – What an interesting
literary reference. This was not the direction
I was expecting this to take. ‘Cause this is like the theme
of the [bleep] book, and I’m thinking people will take the more shallow,
superficial end of it. – (FBE) Final term is submarining.
– Oh. – This is having
a secret relationship. – Some kind of form of hiding
from the relationship in some way. – In a submarine, you’re underwater,
but you can breathe, so maybe you’re like–
you both hate each other, but there’s still some air. – Yeah, I think it’s maybe
when you’re drowning in a relationship
you don’t wanna be in. – You lay low off the radar, and then you come in
for a sneak attack. – When you find the love
of your life while in a submarine. – (laughs)
– When you’re lurking profiles and people and tweets
and posts and such, but you’re not too active.
You don’t like the Instagram photo, but you’re aware that
this person exists, and you’re waiting
for that moment to surface. – “Submarining is when somebody
you’re talking to or dating suddenly cuts all ties
and communication with you, but ends up contacting you
at a later time.” (deep inhale) Hmm… okay. – That happened
in your past relationship. – There we go. I’ve been submarined. – This has happened
to some of our friends who have told us about their dating.
– Oh yeah! – They’re like– some,
they totally get ghosted, then a couple months later,
they get the Snapchat at 3 a.m. – Oh, that always happens.
You always contact the person you break up with
at least one more time. – You’re a submarine captain.
– Hey. Maybe doe. – (FBE) So overall,
who do you think was better at figuring out these definitions?
– (both) Hmm. – I feel we were both
equally wrong and equally right. – Not a good look for us.
– It’s very sad indeed. – Oh well.
– We did horribly. – I think we did kind of good.
We have friends who date on Tinder and stuff, so we’ve heard
all of the stories, we know some of the terms. – We tied in our losingness.
– Our failure, yeah. – Good job, babe.
– I’m okay with that! – (both) Yeah.
– We’re both losers. – Thanks for watching this episode
of YouTube Couples React. – And be sure to subscribe
to everyone featured below. Links are in the description.
– Hey, guys. Ethan here. Thank you so much
for watching this episode. If you guys wanna see your comments
shouted out just like the people you see down below, BeSponged,
Ana Petrovik, and steven conlin, be sure to leave a comment,
because we’re here responding to comments in the first 30 minutes
of this episode going live. Bye, guys.