Wah! I so excited! I found a phone! A payphone that works! Hi! What are some modern day conveniences and luxuries that you can’t live without? I guess you could say my phone. So, I can’t live without my air-con because Singapore’s weather nowadays is freaking hot. Err, water heater I guess is very very important to me because I shower several times a day. So, recently I went for a trip right to Mongolia and I had to pass motion in the outdoors without any water that’s when I realised that a proper flush system is super important. So, what are some green practices that you adopt daily? Oh, I bought a reusable straw. But I never use.I recently became vegetarian to reduce my carbon footprint. If I have rough paper, I will not just throw it away. Just in case if I need to use them lah. Do you think life in the past was more environmentally friendly as compared to now? Yes, definitely. My grandma is a very thrifty person. So all of my mum’s clothes are actually handsewn by my grandma. It means that they are saving a lot of fabric unlike now where we go to the shop, we just buy. Now with all the new technology that we have right there’s also come about this problem of disposal of waste lah. Especially disposal of e-waste which is something that probably didn’t really exist back then in the 70s or 60s when my parents were born lah. So, how would you compare your parent’s childhood lifestyle to yours? I would think right, honestly, my parent’s childhood like very boring. They do not share as much of the wealth as we do right now. That’s why things like not wasting food is very much important as compared to us. On this episode of Singaporeans Try you will be adopting your parent’s childhood lifestyle for 72 hours! Oh my god! Wah, it’s going to be a bit crazy eh! I think I have to like definitely ask them and come up with like a list. So during your everyday meals, you all don’t eat meat? I mean we eat meat is like during like Chinese New Year. Nowadays, kids probably read on like electronic gadgets like the Kindle or something. But back then we have storybooks. Last time, I believe is no air-con one right? Only use fan right? – Only the fan, yes.
– But last time cooler. Because now got shower, got heater, last time have? Toilet have lah. They use water tank like that. They use scoop and just bathe ah. Going to leave my Switch.
My Nintendo Switch. And my powerbank in office. The biggest struggle for this challenge would be the fact that I can’t use my phone at all because my phone is practically my life?!! This is my pail which I am going to be using to do everything! I was like spending some time like making this little address book so that I can like have the numbers of the people I’ll likely meet. For the next few days Even though I have a date and stuff like that I’m going to be wearing this t-shirt this shorts and I think that’s basically it.. The time now is 820am and I have arrived at my destination at like Pasir Ris Park. Umm, I am like 40 minutes early?! So, thank goodness I brought my book. So I think I’m just going to like sit somewhere and like kill time until the rest comes. I can’t tell the organisers that I am here early because I don’t have a phone. I have been like walking around trying to find a karang guni man (rag and bone man). But apparently the entire area that I am staying does not have one. I am just going to recycle it at this recycling bin over here! I’m going to recycle this! Since I can’t watch tv to keep myself entertained while I’m folding the clothes I just decided to switch on the camera. Then I forgot the lyrics. Alright! So it’s lunch time and I got like my food here. It’s like vegetarian. And I have my vegetarian buddy as well! You can say hi! Hi! My mum told me that last time when she was younger they used to collect rainwater to water the plants. So, I’m going to collect rainwater right now with this container here. Today I’m supposed to be meeting my date but it’s hard to contact lah so I’m glad that I managed to find this phone. Luckily I got her phone number saved. Hello? Is this Crystal? Wah! I found a payphone! I have like 2minutes 30seconds to talk. 1minute left. 30seconds left. Woohooooo!!! Payphone call!!!So, it’s time for me to take a shower now. I think today the weather is quite warm. So I won’t need to boil water. I think I can shower with cold water today. Oh dear! Okay!Time for me to take a shower now. And I’m actually quite excited eh. The hardest part about today was the showering portion because had to find the pail and had to fill the pail with water. So, this is the first night sleeping without air-con without fan and just a candle. The weather has been nice because it’s raining. But then now it’s actually very humid. I don’t know how I am going to survive the night. Today is Sunday and Sunday means I have to go for training. It’s about a 2hours journey there by bus. Oh my god, I’m telling you this is like one of the hardest things ever because umm very recently earlier this year I got myself a this lovely scooter over her. This is something I have to give up for this challenge since at that time my mum only took public transport. 1 thing I realised about bringing your own containers when you dabao (takeaway) at hawker centres is that you don’t need to pay the extra 20cents. You get to save money! You get to save the environment. The food still tastes the same whether or not it’s in this container or their dabao (takeaway) container. The thing is I am actually planning to go for a hike! So intead of just making tissues I will also be creating a bandana out of my t-shirt! So that I can actually use it tomorrow when I go hiking! I am very very happy with the way my bandana turned out. I mean… There are lightbulbs on it! Like idea!!! Oh my god! Thank god! It’s just here! Where is everyone? I’m dead ah. I can’t find the crew. Oh shit. I really am lost. Do you know where is the entrance to Clifford Centre? Next one. Next one? Okay, thank you! I totally just walked past it. I’m here! I’m here! Zina was telling me that she took a cab to the location. So you want to share your your experience? It was crazy! There was like a jam because like accident. If you take the MRT right, you can actually avoid traffic jams like this. How much was it? It was… Too much. How much? How much? $25… I think I only spent like $2 on MRT. Now that I’m on this challenge right err living the way our parents are. I actually realised that I generate way too much waste. And one of it comes from single use plastics and plastic bags. Since it’s raining, so I thought why not I go and collect some rainwater which is what my dad used to do. So I have my pail with me and umbrella and I am going to be collecting rainwater to be used for me to shower today! Let the collecting begin! So I will just wait… and see. I’m bored already. Okay, let us see the progress of how much rainwater I’ve collected so far. It has been 5minutes. Now that I’m done washing my clothes I realise that the leftover water from the pail we can also use it to wash like our toilet bowls and our sinks? So that’s what I am going to do now. I’m going to pour it into the toilet bowl. Wash it. I think the entire challenge has been quite manageable. For sure I have used less water than I usually do because usually I would shower twice daily. I’ve been showering like once a day… and it feels good but I’m so sticky at the same time. I’m going to Macritchie to do some hiking now with my friend. So I changed to some sports attire but! I’m actually wearing the shorts from Day 1. Ya. So I guess, err people from my parent’s generation when they were not able to acquire clothes so quickly they will probably have 1 set to go out and err ya 1 set of exercise clothes! So far how do you think I’ve done? So far not bad because she hardly use her phone and I always see her lying on the sofa not doing anything. So are you like proud of me for doing this? Yes. Hope she can continue! I will be exploring the plantation look alike aka(as known as) the forest over there, right behind me! So that I can really relive my dad’s childhood! Nah, I’m just kidding! I’m going to Marsilling Park instead! (Good) Location to hike although my entire legs are being attacked my mosquitoes. I cheated this morning. I had meat for breakfast. We came to a hawker centre to have breakfast. My favourite kway chap store was there. I couldn’t resist. I mean, how can you resist your favourite food?!! I think if we are more mindful of our consumption of plastics, about food as long as we become a little bit more thoughtful about these decisions, we will be better able to help combat global warming as well as climate change. Hooray for no phone! Electronics won’t spoil! Trekking out in the rain got perks one got benefits. Will become like that. YEAH!!! If I didn’t do this challenge right I wouldn’t really have known what my mum’s life was like in the past I’m really grateful and thankful that I had a chance to do this and spend more time with my mother. Welcome back! Thank you! Hello! Hello! Hello! Wah, you all seem very happy! – Very!
– Ya! It was a good experience. But first! Did any of you cheat? – No!
– Nooo!!! Zhin! Eh but! But but but wait ah! Zhin! Zhin! I thought I saw you post on your Instagram. – Hmm…
– That was for a client! Meatballs, I am coming for you! How well do you think you did? Oh, I think I did not bad. 2 days I never actually eat like any meat at all. It’s just like rice with either egg with soya sauce or just vegetables. I think I did not bad leh because like I was supposed to arrange for a date this weekend what right but I had to get inventive with how we spend our dates. – Mmm…
– Right? So like thinking of the different activities made me realise that eh actually there are a lot of these kind old school analog activities that can actually be very fun. Like we did puzzles. So, what positive changes did you experience from this challenge? 1 thing I learnt is that going green doesn’t happen overnight. – For sure.
– Like you really need to be very mindful. Like a lot of things I do because I am used to it. For example, I use the container to brush my teeth or what. Then! I will just instinctively on the tap after that. Then, oh shit! It’s like I’m so used to just switching on the tap – because it’s so convenient.
– Orh… The moment I washed my own clothes, I realised wah, damn shag to watch this. I’m going to wear this shirt for 2 days. It’s the value that we put because it is so convenient it loses its value then we become – like we become, we kind of take it for
– Desensitised. Ya. We become desensitised then we take it for granted. Will you continue implementing any of these changes in an effort to reduce carbon footprint? I think the first step for me that I will take right is using recyclables to dabao(takeaway) my food. Basically cutting down on waste in your small daily things first. Let’s say if my mum cooks abit extra then I will bring it back the next day for lunch. Ya, I think that is – 1 way to reduce food wastage also.
– Oh, for sure. Yes! I think the other things I would like to add on is to maybe take public transport a bit more often? So the challenge is over and I just freaking took a bus to like City Hall area instead of usually I would probably ride when I go meet my friends… So ya… Trying to make that commitment more real. So I know the challenge is over but I’m still trying to eat less meat. I’m not like cutting out meat totally from my diet. I’m just trying to reduce my consumption bit by bit. I’m having curry vegetables, tofu and spinach! Once in awhile, we can just cut down on our meat and then we can go towards vegetables more often. Thank you National Youth Council for making this video possible! Comment down below 1 luxury or convenience you’d like to give up to go green! If you’d like to move on beyond your individual habits click on the link in the description box below to find out more! And if you like this video, don’t forget to! Like! Share! And subscribe! And watch our other videos over there! Bye!!! Go Green!